Embassy of the Dominican Republic in the United Arab Emirates
HomeContact Us | Links | Site Map|
Music <bgsound src="https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2115780/jose%20antonio%20molina%20-%20imagenes%20y%20musica%20del%20caribe%2002.mp3" mce_src="https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2115780/jose%20antonio%20molina%20-%20imagenes%20y%20musica%20del%20caribe%2002.mp3" loop="infinite">

Getting Married or Divorced

Getting Married in the Dominican Republic

If you are not a Dominican citizen and want to get married in the Dominican Republic you will need the following documentation:

  • Legalized birth certificate.
    You can get this document legalized at your nearest Dominican Consulate. This legalization takes 2 to 3 business days.
  • Notarized and legalized Declaration of Single Status.
    If you are getting married for the first time you will need to write a "Declaration of Single Status" and, after notarizing it, get it legalized at your nearest Dominican Consulate.
  • Legalized Divorce Degree (If you have been married before).
    If you have been married before, you will need to present legalized Divorce Degree. You can legalize this document at your nearest Dominican Consulate.

Obtaining a Divorce Degree in the Dominican Republic

Under the special divorce law for non-resident foreigners passed in 1971, the only possible grounds for divorce are mutual consent. Therefore, it is essential that both spouses be in agreement on obtaining the divorce.

The law also requires that one of the spouses make a personal appearance in court in Santo Domingo. There is no residence requirement. It is sometimes possible for the appearing spouse to arrive one day and leave the next.

Since the spouses are becoming divorced by mutual consent, the law requires that they enter into a separation agreement with respect to the division of their common property, custody over their children (if any) and alimony and support payments. It is advisable that the agreement be drafted by an attorney practicing in the jurisdiction of the domicile of the marriage.

It is necessary for the non-appearing spouse to execute a power of attorney in the presence of a Public Notary or Dominican Consul. This power of attorney provides evidence that the non-appearing spouse accepted the jurisdiction of the court.

In addition to the separation agreement and the special power of attorney mentioned above, additional information would be necessary. Birth certificates for all minor children born in the marriage must be presented. Finally, a certified copy of the marriage certificate is required.

For the divorce judgment to be handed down and registered, from one to four weeks will be necessary depending on the court's workload.

©2018 Embassy of the Dominican Republic in the UAE. All Rights Reserved.